Developmental Domain: Cognitive Development – Scientific Thinking and Problem Solving
Children use senses to explore materials and the environment; they express wonder about the natural world; and they make predictions about objects and natural events.
- Old pair of nylon legs
- Grass seed
- Small plastic containers (jar or cleaned cat food tins),
- Elastic bands
- Google eyes (the ones you sew on)
- Pipe cleaners
- Spray bottle.
- Cut nylon at the knee
- Scoop in 1 tbsp. grass seed
- Scoop in soil, compacted (size of a softball)
- Work the soil down to foot of nylon into shape of a head.
- Tie the open end of the nylon tight (snip excess nylon and leave about 3 inches dangling).
- Optional: Have the children pinch the soil through the nylon to make it easy to tie an elastic around for ears and nose; sew on google eyes; make glasses out of pipe cleaners
- Place grass head on top of small container (have excess 3 inch nylon dangling into the container
- Pour in 1/2 inch of water in bottom of the container every couple of days.
- Spray water gently over grass seeds on top 2 times each day.
WATCH THE GRASS GROW and watch the children enjoy creating there own hairdo’s.
Paper Plate Umbrellas
- Large paper plates
- Markers and crayons
- Give each child a paper plate with a hole in the middle (large enough to poke a finger in it).
- Let the children decorate the backs of their plates with crayons or markers.
- When they have finished, have them stick their index fingers up through the holes in their plates to make the umbrella.
- It is fun to sing a spring ˜rain” song such as ‘Rain Rain Go Away’.
- Collage materials
- Paint the bottom of the child’s foot and make a footprint on a piece of paper.
- They can then add a stem and what other decoration they choose to make a flower.
- Shoe box
- Aluminum foil
- Kabob skewers
- Plastic wrap
- Line a shoe box with aluminum foil.
- Next put kabob skewers through the box.
- Place plastic wrap over the top of the box.
- Now you can cook marshmallows and hot dogs on a particular sunny day.
Carefully lift up plastic wrap, pull one end of kabob out of box. Thread food item onto kabob, replace plastic wrap. Watch and wait, eat when ready!
Carrot on a String
- Large carrot
- Core out the top of a carrot
- Put a hole in carrot
- Insert string and hang by a window
- Children put water in the cored out top.
- In a few days your kids will love the results.
- Paint, markers, and glue
- Pipe Cleaners, google eyes, feathers etc.
- Go on a rock hunt, each child should find a smooth rock
- Paint rock
- Let the children decorate their rock using the supplies